Tuesday 19 November 2013

London: With A Little Help From My Friends


Hayley, Cara, Kyveli and Miki: these guys are the best. Seriously. When friends stayed with me during my exchange, they literally slept on my floor. Not me! During the last three weeks, these four superstars have spoiled me beyond belief. I love you all, and expect you at my door in Melbourne ASAP, and I promise not to make you sleep on the floor.

I got back from Amsterdam in time for one last night at Hayley's, which I spent in Shoreditch meeting all of London's finest (?) and most charming (??) investment bankers. There's a highly successful reality show waiting to be made on the top deck of London's night buses. 

Next morning, I dragged myself eastward to Cara's place in Lewisham, where I settled in for approximately two minutes before dragging Cara to Regent Street for the grand turning on of the Christmas lights. We met Miki outside Hamleys, endured two false countdowns, and were rather surprised when the lights suddenly burst on overhead without warning. There were piddly little fireworks. To celebrate, Cara and I headed home to cook up an epic hamburger feast.


On Sunday, Cara and I had a lovely brunch at a local cafe before climbing to Telegraph Hill for a panoramic view of the Thames skyline. Cara pointed out some of the best-named buildings, including the Gherkin, the Cheese Grater and the Walky Talky. All legitimate building names. Get your act together, Melbourne! Construct a Cocktail Sausage, or a Potato Peeler, something, anything, just do it before Boxing Day! We don't want to look stupid for the Ashes.


After watching the final episode of the IT Crowd - brielliant! - I destroyed several couples' romantic sunsets by jogging back up to Telegraph Hill. Worth it. Later, Cara, her housemate and I shivered our way to a local gastropub before returning home and solving the better part of the world's problems. You're welcome. 


On Monday, I jumped the Thames and landed outside Kyveli's door in Bloomsbury. Kyveli sat me down, showed me exactly how to access Downton Abbey on her TV, and immediately became a hero in my eyes. And then, just like old times, we cooked up a storm in the kitchen. I can't explain how fantastic it was to be back there, a home away from Great Dover Street away from home. Michael came by and helped us make a small dint in our unexpectedly mountainous quantity of couscous.

Tuesday morning introduced me to some of the fattest and most intransigent pigeons I've ever encountered. Unfortunately I frightened most of these into the face of some poor man who'd chosen the wrong park bench to sit on. If you want London wildlife, head for the parks and squares of Bloomsbury; they're littered with squirrels and pigeons of the cheekiest sort. 


That afternoon, I met up with Miki at a Costa for Christmas-themed coffee. Orange mocha, anyone? Spiced apple cider? I then returned to Kyveli's for a Downton binge, followed by the grand baking of sticky date pudding in honour of past adventures with Polly (tu nous as manqué, Polly!)


On Wednesday I walked along Regent's Canal to Camden Lock, where my eyes were assaulted by a local chundering everywhar. Stay classy, Camden. I caught up with Dara at a very cool cafe in Kentish Town [Kentish Town, yes, Kentish Town Kentish Town, no], Aranchini, and got quite excited about migration law. Afterwards, I met Michael for lunch at the Founders Arms, Dad's favourite St Paul's-facing pub. We then proceeded to prove ourselves the coolest kids in town by hunting down key locations in The Cuckoo's Calling. For those fabulous enough to care, Cormoran Strike's office is behind Tottenham Court station on Denmark Street, next to 12 Bar Club and a million music shops. 


We can't tell you exactly where Lula's Mayfair mansion was meant to be, but we suggest pretending it's the balconied building at one corner of Grosvenor Square. Don't mind the guy with the machine gun outside the US Embassy; he's probably a JK fan too. He certainly seemed interested in our activities.


From Downton to Dalston; Kyveli was determined to culture me up. That night, we headed out to Dalston for an open mike spoken word event. Picture the dodgiest of dodgy brothel-type places, and you're almost there. Hayley refused to wait for us inside for some reason.  The actual event was fantastic, featuring poetry, a song, stories, and a multiple choice quiz. Some of the performers were simply fantastic, and others...  


On Thursday, I met up with Natalie at St Katherine's dock and went to a Melbourne-standard cafe, White Mulberries. It's probably in your shiny new book, Maddie - go. Speaking of Maddie, she and Jonny came along to dinner at Kyveli's and made my day/week/year. Mini London reunion. Absolute joy face. We drank wine and ate dinner on the floor. It was terrific. It was also highly bittersweet when Maddie and Jonny had to leave, and I had to watch Kyveli pack her things for a trip to Athens, but there will be a next time! Better believe it. And we'll still probably be eating leftover couscous when it comes around.


I left Kyveli's on Friday morning and dumped my stuff at in Islington for the day. I dragged Michael along a well-trodden route up Cross Street for old time's sake, and then bought a lovely teal skirt I'd been eyeing off at Joy for a fortnight. Mmmm consumerism. We met Jacki at Byron Burgers for a catch-up lunch and then browsed the nearby boutiques for vintage stuff, old maps, cutesy kitsch things, second-hand books, and penguins. The Breakfast Club provided coffee. 


And then, and then, and then - it was off to Miki's for the final leg of my London travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment